The league is housed in The Barn of the historic Josiah Smith Tavern in Weston Center. The Barn of The Josiah Smith Tavern is located at 358 Boston Post Road in Weston, next to the old Weston library. For over 30 years, the Women’s Community League of Weston has been custodian and tenant of The Barn of The Josiah Smith Tavern (Jones House). Home to the Clothing Exchange and Café on Tuesdays from September to May, The Barn is also the meeting location for many League activities, such as the Speaker Series and many social events.
The Barn may be reserved for meetings and social events by members of the WCL, by philanthropic, professional, civic, cultural or political groups, or by private individuals. The Barn is especially suitable for midsize gatherings for luncheons, dinner parties, baby or bridal showers, bar/bat mitzvahs, lectures, nonprofit group shows and sales, seminars, classes and exhibits.
Functions are limited to 49 people. The Barn has tables and chairs that can be used by the renter and will be set in place by The Barn’s custodian.
The Barn has a fully equipped kitchen, including electric stovetop, microwave oven, double ovens, refrigerator, double sink and dish sterilizer. Three large coffee urns are also available for the renter’s use.
Dishware includes dinner plates, dessert/salad plates, cups and saucers, and stainless cutlery. The renter will provide cookware (including cooking and cutting utensils, glassware, serving pieces and utensils and linen).
A brochure is available with details and rates. For more information, email email@example.com or call (781) 891-4960.
The Barn’s story begins in 1756 when Josiah Smith purchased “a piece of land on the town road” for £25. By 1757, he had opened a tavern on the site which was conveniently located near the Town of Weston’s meeting house. It soon became recognized as one of the most hospitable taverns on the Boston Post Road, and became the destination for people from Boston and other nearby communities for meals, dancing and playing cards.
In 1838, the tavern became known as Josiah Warren Hall, after it’s owner, and it was then sold, in 1842, to the Jones brothers, whose granddaughters, Alice and Ellen Jones, kept the property intact. In the 1950’s they willed the tavern to the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities.
After several years of using it for meetings and its primary fundraiser, The Clothing Exchange and Café, the league updated the facility so that it can be enjoyed by members of the community for meetings and social functions.
The Town of Weston now owns the building, the oldest structure in Weston Center, and leases the Barn and Connector portion of it to The Women’s Community League of Weston for preservation and community use.